At one time there were three churches in
Clermont. They were St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church, the
Saint Sabina Catholic Church is pictured
It was rumored that the early Italian families of
Clermont helped in getting the Catholic Church named after St Sabina. Here are
pictures of Saint Sabina and Saint Sabina Basilica in
Saint Sabina Catholic Church in Clermont
was completed in the fall of 1895. The alter was white, trimmed in light blue
and gilt. The Reverend Tobias Mullin, Bishop of Erie, presided for the
consecration in October of that year. A special dinner was held in the Bayer
House for the occasion. Services were held every other Sunday.The church was located on the north side of the road that leads from Clermont to Wilcox.
It was located directly across the road from the Frank Spadafore home as seen in
this next Photo.
1. Saint Sabinas Catholic Church
2. Frank Spadafore house
of John and Fred Peterson
Saint Sabinas Catholic Church was the scene of many weddings and funerals in Clermont in the early part of the century. Later the name of the church was changed to Saint Celistus Catholic Church. There were a number of priests thet served the church over the years. Father Francis Doyle was the priest in 1905 and served until 1908. Father Carpenter took over at this time and served until the early 1920's. Father Charles Liebel took over at this time and served until 1926. Marian Bloomster and Bob Mc Kean were married in the church in 1925. It can be noted that Marian served as a teacher in the Wernwag School at the time. Her father Pete Bloomster had a farm in Bloomster Hollow.
The Buffalo Coal
Company built the Clermont Union Congregational Church across the dirt road from
the A. R. Anderson Grove. This dirt road leads to where the Hagman farm and
several other farms were located at that time. In 1898 the Methodists built
their own church so they sold their share of the Union Church and it became the
1898 the Methodists in Clermont sold their interest in the Clermont Union
Congregational Church and built this church.