The Post Offices
There were several locations of the post offices in
Clermont from the beginning around the turn of the century until 1971 when the
post office was closed permanently. There were also several postmasters. The
first location was in Buttís store and the postmaster was W. E. Butts. The
store is shown here:
next location was in the basement of Clermont Hotel later known as Petersonís
store, which can b
e seen here:
e seen here:
Post Office was located in the lower right basement in Petersonís store as
The next location for the
Post Office was in the basement of the house south of Erlandson's store. During
the late 1930's and early 1940's Ben Hagman would pick up the mail at the
Shawmut Railroad station and haul it to the Post Office in his wheelbarrow. For
a few years after that Ed Yoder would pick up the mail at Marvindale and deliver
it to the Post Office. In the final years a truck from Mt Jewett delivered the
mail to the Post Office. Other Postmasters to serve the Clermont Post office
were Harry Hafner and Frank Smith. Margaret Burmingham also worked in the office
at one time.
and Edith Anderson to serve as a Post Office built the next building shown here.
It served as the Clermont Post office until 1971 when the Clermont office was
closed and rural delivery from Mt Jewett was started. Edith was the Post
Mistress and served until 1965.
Anderson served as Postmistress for many years. In fact she ran the Post office
for the longest period of years. Here is a photo of Edith and her husband
finally retired in 1965 and Elaweese Himes took over and continued until the
Post Office was closed in 1971.