Grandview Inn, Edies, and Mountain Inn, have been located in Clermont since the
In 1947 Frank
and Catherine Spachtholz and Frank Grandinetti opened a tavern in the same
location where Peterson's Store stood. At first there was no name attached to
the business so one day some of the local men including John Grillo, Ralph Aloi,
Harold Hagman, Roger Manning, and Dominic Alfieri tried to suggest a name.
Finally it was decided to suggest the name "Grand View Inn". The
owners liked the name and the tavern became known by that name. It became a very
successful business. Dances were held usually two nights per week and spaghetti
dinners were featured on Thursday nights. Mrs. Mary Alfieri was the cook for the
dinners. Many men from Kaul Clay factory stopped after work to drink and
February 26, 1956 a huge explosion rocked the tavern. This headline appeared in
an article in the
explosion practically leveled the cement block building. There were eight people
in the building at the time but they only suffered minor injuries. Don Simonds,
chief of the Clermont Volunteer Fire Department, reported that the explosion
which knocked out two walls of the building was immediately followed by a fire .
The fire destroyed the rest of the building and its contents. Mr. Spachtholz
estimated the loss at $30,000. It was determined later that the explosion was
caused by a natural gas leak at the rear of the building. The building was
insured but it was never rebuilt. The Spactholz family and Mr. Grandinetti
and Marian Ravetti purchased the liiquor license next and they opened in the
house that used to be the Shawmut Railroad Station Agent's house. Bob Perry
lived there as station agent. After passenger service was ended John Palumbo and
his family lived there during the 1940's until the railroad ceased to operate.
Rich and Melanie McDowell ran the inn for a while also.
In 1965 Edith
Fowler bought the business and named it Edies Inn and the old railroad station
became the location of the inn.