Michael and Elizabeth Bayer came
in 1835. Michael found a job in
New York City
and they settled there for two years. In 1936 a son was born and he was named
. In 1937 they purchased land and began a farm just about 2 miles east of the
. Two other boys, named Conrad and John, were born in Clermont.
was educated in the Clermont schools. He later married Retta Dehn who was a
daughter of one of the families who lived in Teutonia.
was the owner of Bayer House for many years. Next door to the Bayer House was a
The Bayer House was
sold later and was renamed Clermont House and some times called Clermont Hotel.
George Silfies and his wife later purchased the farm owned by the Bayers. They
raised a family of four boys and three girls. After the death of his parents
their son Clinton took over the farm and raised a family there. In 2001 Clint's
sons Bill and John own most of the land.