The Grillo Farm
A.J. Hellman previously owned the Carmen Grillo farm. Aaron Hellman leased land west of his house for the location of the school. The Grillo family purchased the farm in 1926. It was stipulated at the time that the land would be returned when the school was closed. When the school was eventually closed, the school property and building became the property of the Grillo family. The farm property has been sold and is now owned by a family named Bush.
The school property is still owned by Sarah, who is the
youngest daughter of Carmen and Mary Grillo.
Grillo farm was unusual in that they had 35 to 40 beehives and sold honey to
other residents. Also they raised pigeons and harvested the squabs for food. In
early years horses were used for the farm work. The
This picture of the tractor and 3 members of the family was taken in 1940.
are the male members of the Grillo family and they are from left to right: John,
Carmen the (father), Joe, and Tony.