Industries of Clermont were:
hill on the road between the A. R. Anderson farm and the Carmen Grillo farm was
known as Limekiln Hill. It received
this name because a kiln was built there where limestone was baked to produce
lime for the farmersí fields. John W. Anderson, father of A. R. Anderson and
grandfather of Marshall Anderson, built and operated the kiln. The limestone was
mined on that hill. This road served as the road to Marvindale and points beyond
until 1930 when the present Route 146 is located.
The Glass Factory
Dr. Guy Dutter,
who was a doctor at the Kane Summit Hospital, and a group of investors from
Kane, had a factory built on the Fred Anderson farm.
It was built in the field on the left on Route 146 as you approach the
farm from Marvindale.
Their intent was to produce globes for both kerosene and natural gas
lights. In early November a fire destroyed the plant and it was never rebuilt.
At the time there was speculation that the fire was set by someone. No evidence
was ever found and to this day no one knows how the fire started. However the
enterprise of glass lamp globe production ceased forever.
slaughterhouse was located below the A. R. Anderson farm
along Red Mill Brook before arriving at the Pennsy Pond.
It was operated by Jake Amend to supply meat for his meat market in
These were the smallest industries located here. The others which were considered
small industries were National Fuel Gas Company, United Natural Gas Company,
the Timber Industry and Seneca Resources.
These were the smallest industries located here. The others which were considered small industries were National Fuel Gas Company, United Natural Gas Company, the Timber Industry and Seneca Resources.